What is NEXLETOL?
NEXLETOL is a nonstatin, once-daily pill for adults with known heart disease or an inherited condition that causes high levels of bad cholesterol, who need additional lowering of bad cholesterol.
How should I take NEXLETOL?
Take NEXLETOL exactly as your doctor tells you to take it. NEXLETOL should be taken once daily, with or without food. Do not take more than 1 dose per day. If you miss a dose, talk to your doctor.
Do I still have to eat healthy and exercise while taking NEXLETOL?
Yes, NEXLETOL should be combined with diet, exercise, and a statin.
Can I take NEXLETOL if I’m already taking a statin?
Yes, NEXLETOL should be taken with statins.
Is NEXLETOL safe to take?
NEXLETOL can cause side effects that can become serious, including:
- high levels of uric acid in the blood, which can lead to gout, a painful joint condition. Call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
- severe foot pain, especially in the toe joint
- warm joints
- tender joints
- joint redness
- tendon problems: Stop taking NEXLETOL immediately and get medical help right away if you get any of the following signs or symptoms of tendon rupture:
- hear or feel a snap or pop in a tendon area
- bruising right after an injury in a tendon area
- unable to move the affected area or put weight on the affected area
Tell your doctor right away about any side effect you experience. NEXLETOL can cause side effects, including:
- symptoms of the common cold or flu
- muscle spasms
- back pain
- pain in the legs or arms
- stomach pain
Your doctor may check your blood for side effects that you might not be able to feel.
These are not all the possible side effects of NEXLETOL. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
What should I tell my doctor before taking NEXLETOL?
Tell your doctor if you:
- have, or have ever had, gout
- have, or have ever had, tendon problems
- are pregnant or breastfeeding, or may become pregnant or plan to breastfeed
- have severe kidney or liver problems
- are taking simvastatin or pravastatin